Grace and peace church family!
One of the things we celebrate as part of our church calendar is Pentecost Sunday, a special Sunday when we focus on the promise of Jesus that He would send the Holy Spirit to dwell in all who followed Him. The fulfillment of this promise happened on the day of Pentecost, 50 days after Jesus was crucified.
For those desiring to prepare their hearts to worship God this coming Pentecost Sunday, we have prepared a series of devotional guides for the whole week. We are praying that these bless and encourage you in Christ!
Monday: Read these words from the Nicene Creed:
“And we believe in the Holy Spirit,
The Lord, the giver of life.”
- How does this sentence teach you to think about the Holy Spirit?
- Read Psalm 104:30; Isaiah 32:14-20; John 3:5-6; 1 Cor 2:10-13 and discuss how these passages would teach us to think of the Spirit as the Lord and the giver of life.
Tuesday: Read 2 Corinthians 3:7-18 and answer the following questions:
- What is the ministry of the Spirit?
- How does Paul contrast the Spirit’s ministry with the ministry of the law?
- How does Paul describe the Spirit Himself?
Wednesday: Read John 16:4-15 and answer the following questions:
- Jesus says that it is better for Him to leave then to stay on earth. What are the reasons he gives for this shocking statement? Try to find at least 6!
- Jesus calls the Spirit the Helper. Given what you discovered above, what do you think He has come to help you do?
Thursday: What is the Holy Spirit’s role in the gospel?
- Read Luke 1:35; Isaiah 61:1 and Luke 4:18; Heb 9:14; Rom 1:4; and discuss.
- Does this affect the way we worship Him?
- What does it mean that this same Spirit now dwells in you?
Friday: Read Romans 8:1-17
- What does Paul say that the Spirit does in the life of a believer. Try to find at least 6!
- What does it mean to “walk…according to the Spirit”?
- Compare Romans 8:15-17 with Romans 8:22-23. How does this teach us to think about the Spirit’s presence with us?
Saturday: The Spirit of Glory
- Read Eph 1:11-14 and ask: what does the presence of the Spirit teach us about God?
- Read Eph 1: 16-21 what does Paul pray the Spirit will teach us about God?
- Read Eph 3:14-18 who does Paul pray the Spirit will strengthen you to do?
- How does all of this teach you to think about what the Spirit is trying to do in your life?